In 2008, I started working in Xi'an, and my monthly salary was 6800. In 2014, the monthly salary became 14900. In these 7 years, the salary has increased by 11.86% annually.
Looks good? Many people stay in a company, there will be no salary increase for two or three years, or a two or three hundred RMB per year. This is also the basis for many developers to think that the salary increase can only rely on job hopping. I also have the experience of changing jobs:
In the second half of 2014, as the product stopped developing, I left the company that had been in the company for 7 years and switched to another company. The monthly salary increased by 10100, or 67.79%.
The two relative ratios seem to have come to a conclusion - the company's salary increase is slow, and the salary increase depends on job-hopping.
However, this is only a phenomenon, and there is another opposite phenomenon: after staying in a company for N years, the position is promoted and the salary is soaring!
Therefore, we must start from two key points of salary increase, provide a job opportunity assessment tool, help us to assess whether it should stay in the company and other salary increases, or constantly change jobs to seek salary increases.
1. Two key points of salary increase
From a market perspective, a programmer is a commodity. Goods have value in use, value and price.
The use value is an attribute in which the commodity satisfies the desire of the person and the utility of the object. For example, pencil sharpening is the use value of pencil sharpener. Eliminating hunger is the use value of steamed bread. Writing software to solve problems is the use value of programmers.
A product may have multiple uses. For example, a fruit knife can cut fruit, cut meat, and dig pits; for example, programmers can write software to solve problems, or go shopping with a woman, or repair a computer.
The purchase of the main body of the goods requires a certain use value of the goods. But the value of use needs to be measured by "value."
In layman's terms, commodity value refers to the degree to which a product meets the needs of the user.
In Marx's Capital, the value of goods is defined as the undifferentiated human labor or abstract labor that condenses in commodities. The value of the commodity is determined by the socially necessary labor time at which the commodity is produced.
The value of this commodity is abstract. There must be something to materialize it. Goods can be traded and circulated. This is the price expressed in monetary terms.
Ideally, the higher the price of the product, the higher the value of the product, indicating the higher the degree to which the product meets certain needs of a certain type of user.
Use value, value, price, demand... These are too complicated to say in one sentence: one of your use values meets one of the employer's needs, the more important this demand is for the employer, the better you are satisfied, the employer The more willing you pay for a higher price.
In this way, the most important thing to raise your salary is that your use value is strongly needed.
Therefore, when we evaluate job opportunities, we have two key points to consider:
- Growth trend of use value
- Salary level
Using the above two points as indicators, I can combine four opportunities. I have designed a simple tool - the job opportunity assessment four quadrants, which can help us make decisions more intuitively.
2. Job Opportunity Assessment Four Quadrants
This picture divides job opportunities into four categories based on trends in usage values and salary levels:
- Ideal opportunity, high salary, and personal use value will grow
- Potential opportunities, low or low salary, but personal use value will grow, and will be more valuable in the future. After the personal use value is greatly increased, the current work can be converted into an ideal opportunity or an external opportunity can be found.
- The chance of slow death, the salary is good, but the personal use value is getting lower and lower, the stock skill is consumed, the future will become worthless, and it is difficult to find a higher salary or the same salary after the change.
- The chance of dying, the salary is not good, the personal use value is getting lower and lower, and soon it will be worthless. It is difficult to find a job after being dismissed.
With the job opportunity assessment of the four quadrants, you can easily and intuitively judge that the value of the job opportunities we face is not worthwhile – as long as it is an ideal opportunity or a potential opportunity, it is worth a try.
There are many kinds of programmers' use value, which can be divided into the following three categories:
- Technical capabilities such as Java, C++, Python, Spark, Keras, etc.
- Business capabilities such as finance, insurance, medical, architectural design, etc.
- Management capabilities, including communication, project management, program management, leadership, motivation, organization, feedback, listening, etc.
Think of your ability to grow in the next few years, and you can quickly choose among a wide range of jobs.
3. Is it a job change or a trough?
To determine whether the job hopping or the groping, you can evaluate the current job opportunities and new opportunities separately. Face the following combinations, you can jump without hesitation:
- The current job is a chance to die slowly or a chance to die, no doubt, jump;
- Current job opportunities are potential opportunities, but new opportunities are ideal opportunities to jump.
For example, a small partner XZ, who is doing front-end development in an outsourcing company, has a monthly salary of 10,000, is assigned to a company, and uses jQuery to do some page logic. He just graduated two years and is satisfied with his salary, but he doesn't want to use jQuery. He doesn't want to do something that doesn't have to be brainstorming under the leadership arrangement. He thinks that this will lose competitiveness sooner or later. The current job is "slow death" for him. opportunity".
After the inspection, he decided to turn to Node.js to do the back-end work. After a while, mastered the basic usage of Node.js, he could do some experimental projects, and then found a small startup, using Node.js to make a Backstage of community products, salary 8000. That new job, for him, is a potential opportunity.
Now, for XZ, it is a good choice to switch from a slow chance to a potential opportunity by hopping.
The hardest thing
However, the hardest thing is to sort out the direction of your ability to develop vigorously and the expectation of salary...
Go back and talk about it again.
If you are experiencing an Offer selection problem, recommend a Live: Easily get multiple Offer options .
If you are planning to quit, recommend a book, " Programmer's Growth Lesson, " which is in Chapters 5, 6, and 7 for resume optimization, job-hopping, and salary.